CEBIMar/USP - Timeline

Timeline

  • 1953
    Acquisition of the lot at Praia do Segredo, in São Sebastião – March 14, 1953
  • 1954
    Construction of the guest house, which is currently the cafeteria 
    Construction of the first laboratory, later called Paulo Sawaya Laboratory
  • 1955
    Registration of the statutes of the Marine Biology Institute Foundation (IBMar) at the Alfredo Firmo da Silva Notary Office  - February 14, 1955
    First Marine Biology Course held at the facilities of the IBMar – September 6-10, 1955
  • 1958
    Donation of the lot where the CEBIMar is currently based to the Marine Biology Institute Foundation, by Mr. Paulo Sawaya and wife – February 25, 1958
  • 1962
    Incorporation of the former IBMar to USP (state decree 41.222, signed by governor Carlos Alberto A. de Carvalho Pinto) – December 17, 1962 
    Visit of the RV Calypso
  • 1963
    Implementation of law GR2, which regulates the University of São Paulo Marine Biology Institute – January 7, 1963 
    First scientific council, with representatives from the Faculty of Philosophy, Literature and Health Sciences (Antonio Brito da Cunha, Aylthon Brandão Joly, Erasmo Garcia Mendes, Michel Pedro Sawaya), the Agriculture Department (Emílio Varoli), The Oceanographic Institute (Marta Vannucci); the São Paulo Faculty of Medicine (Luiz Carlos Uchôa Junqueira), Faculty of Dentistry (Octavio Della Serra), Faculty of Hygiene and Public Health (Francisco Antonio Cardoso), Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (Euclydes Onofre Martins), the Luiz de Queiroz School of Agriculture (Salvador de Toledo Piza Jr. ), the Brazilian Institute of Education, Science and Culture (Isaias Raw), and the Technological Research Institute (Edgard Ghilardi)
    Formation of the first administrative board, composed by the members Jean Roger Lavallard, Sérgio de Almeida Rodrigues and Jorge Alberto Petersen, and Gilberto Righi and João Edmundo Lunetta, as substitute members – May 7, 1963
    Construction of the mussel cultivation park at Praia do Cabelo Gordo
  • 1972
    Visit of Harry M. Miller Jr. (Fundação Rockefeller) - 11/7/1972
  • 1973
    Opening of the housing building – June 21, 1973
  • 1975
    Opening of the administration/library and cafeteria buildings – August 3, 1975
    1st Week of Marine Biology Seminars – December 9-15, 1975
  • 1977
    2nd Week of Marine Biology Seminars – December 5-11, 1977
  • 1980
    3rd Week of Marine Biology Seminars – December 9-15, 1980
    Resolution 1951, which changes the IBMar into an inter-unit center, now referred to as the Center for Marine Biology (CEBIMar) – September 24, 1980
  • 1982
    1st Mini-Symposium on Marine Biology 
    First meeting of the advisory board, counting with the participation of representatives from the CEBIMar (João Edmundo Lunetta, Cláudio Gonçalves Tiago), the Biosciences Institute (Luiz Carlos G. Simões, Edison José de Paula, Jorge Alberto Petersen, Sérgio de Almeida Rodrigues), the Oceanographic Institute (Clóvis Teixeira, Yoshimine Ikeda) and students (Verena R. de Eston) - 20/5/1982
  • 1985 
    Begining of the program 'Interior na Praia II' - Brazilian Conference on Phycology- March 3-6, 1985
    Opening of the Experimental Unit of Electricity Generation (2.2 kW), with the windmill constructed by the São Paulo Energy Company (CESP), as deliverable of the Eolic Energy Project I – May 8, 1985
  • 1987
    Resolution SMA of February 10, 1987, which defines the CEBIMar area as an “Area Under Special Protection” (ASPE, acronym in Portuguese for Área Sob Proteção Especial)
  • 1989
    Implementation of Ibama (Brazilian Institute of Environment and Renewable Natural Resources) Law 1132, of October 7,1989, which bans both amateur and professional fishing in the CEBIMar area
  • 1990
    Resolution 3745, which considers the CEBIMar as a Specialized Institute – October 19, 1990
  • 1994
    Opening of the Central Laboratory, later referred to as the Erasmo Garcia Mendes Laboratory – May 13, 1994
    Resolution 4110, signed by then University President, Flávio Fava de Moraes, which approved the CEBIMar Regulation – August 18, 1994
  • 1996
    Posthumous homage to Paulo Sawaya, whose name was attributed to the first CEBIMar laboratory – November 9, 1996
  • 1999
    Resolution 4896, on September 3, 1999, which changes the USP statute by including the representation of Specialized Institutes  in the central University Committee – September 1, 1999
  • 2000
    Reconstruction of the Paulo Sawaya Laboratory, with support from the State of São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP)
  • 2001
    Posthumous homage to Erasmo Garcia Mendes during the 16th Symposium on Marine Biology, with the presentation of a celebration plate. The former laboratory, opened in 1994, was named after him – November 30, 2001
  • 2002
    17th Symposium on Marine Biology, which celebrates the 40th anniversary of the incorporation of CEBIMar to USP
  • 2006
    Reconstruction of the Administration and Library buildings
  • 2008
    Reconstruction of the Restaurant and Housing buildings

Rodovia Manoel Hypólito do Rego, km. 131,5 - Praia do Cabelo Gordo - São Sebastião - SP - Brazil - CEP 11612-109 - Tel. 55 12 3862 8400 - Fax. 55 12 3862 8454 - e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Joomla 1.6 Templates designed by Joomla Hosting Reviews